Sunday, June 23, 2013

Get Your Pink On...

Happy National Pink Day!  I love the color pink so I decided to celebrate with an easy cheap DIY Wreath some delicious Strawberry Lemonade that has no Refined Sugar!

Let's start with the Strawberry Lemonade.  It will be a nice refreshment while putting the wreath together.  And seeing as how summer has definitely hit Texas, it seems appropriate.  Nothing goes better with summer than lemonade, right?

I always have lemons on hand for my water and ice tea.  So all I needed to pick up was a pint of strawberries.  The lemonade is sweetened with Agave Nectar, which we just recently discovered on our path to cut refined sugar out of our diet.

Agave Nectar is a low glycemic, natural sweetener harvested from the agave plant.  Because of agave's lower glucose content, this sweetener is gradually absorbed into the body helping prevent spikes in blood sugar.  It's delicious sweet syrupy flavor and its easily dissolvable consistency make agave a perfect sweetener for hot or cold drink, sauces and desserts.  This is the one I used today.


This recipe was adapted from
http://www.crunchacolor.com/blogs/news/6362438-strawberry-lemonade-without-sugar-52-new-foods-week-30.
I made a few changes because the original Strawberry Lemonade was a bit too tart for me.  I added extra water to tone it down a bit.  And I forgot to get mint at the grocery store so I left that out.  Here is my adaptation.  

Strawberry Lemonade

About 1 to 1 1/2 CUPS Fresh Organic Lemon Juice (It took me about 9 big lemons)
1 PINT Fresh Organic Strawberries
10 CUPS Water
1/4 CUP Agave Nectar
A Few Sprigs of Fresh Organic Mint

1) Slice the Lemons and squeeze out the Juice
2) Wash Strawberries and cut off the top.  Place them in a blender with 1 CUP of the water.  Puree until smooth.
3) Pour the pureed strawberries into a pitcher.  And add fresh squeezed lemon juice into a pitcher and stir.  (Tip: Add 1 CUP of the Lemon Juice and taste for tartness.  If you like your lemonade really tart go for the full 1 1/2 CUPS)   
4) Add the Agave and Mint sprigs and stir again.  You can add more Agave slowly until you get the desired sweetness.
5) Chill, Serve and Enjoy!!



Coming Soon:
DIY Flower Wreath 
(Pink Themed, Of Course, To Continue Our Celebration Of National Pink Day)



No comments:

Post a Comment